Shopping for professional clothes can be daunting, especially if you’re in a new workplace. It’s important to stick to your organization’s dress code, make a positive impression on your colleagues and clients, and be comfortable.
Another factor that many of us young professionals have to consider is cost. The majority of college students and individuals who are in the very early stages of their careers don’t have the means to splurge on new clothes for work.
Luckily, we’ve done the homework so you don’t have to. It is totally possible to find new, fashionable, appropriate, and affordable work clothes. Here are three of our favorite places to find workwear at a reasonable price.
Ahh, Target. Most of us agree that it’s a pretty magical place, but it might not always be our first destination for workwear purchases. After trying on some of the store’s professional apparel, you may re-think that.
Keep in mind that Target’s brick-and-mortar locations are a bit more limited on selection, so you may need to shop online to find the fashion you need.
- Our favorite for guys: Button-downs are an essential part of any man’s wardrobe; turn to Target if you’re looking for some that won’t make your wallet suffer. There’s an impressive selection of colors, sizes, and styles, like this mint green long-sleeve Oxford fit for just $12.49 on Target.com.
- Our favorite for girls: Investing in a solid-color sheath dress is a smart move for your wardrobe and your budget, and one made of ponte material will stand the test of time pretty well. One like this $19.58 steal from Target.com moves seamlessly from day to night. Pair it with a blazer and pumps for your internship, wear it with statement jewelry and strappy heels for a cocktail party, or try it with sandals and a jean jacket for a brunch date. There are so many possibilities. And honestly – doesn’t pink look great on everyone? 😍
It may be best known for casual wear (July 4th t-shirts, anyone? 🇺🇸), but Old Navy also has a wealth of styles that are perfect for work, too. Business casual dressers will especially find Old Navy’s selection attractive.
- Our favorite for guys: Who said polos can’t be cool? Check out the awesome cut on these #notyourdadspolos. Play it safe with a solid color or opt for something a bit more fun, like this leafy print ($16 at OldNavy.com).
- Our favorite for girls: We love the swing style that Old Navy includes on many blouses – they’re light, comfortable, and can be dressed up or down. Wear a cute crepe or linen sleeveless blouse under a blazer or cardigan at the office. This adorable swing cami is currently only $15 at OldNavy.com.
That’s right, good ol’ JCP has affordable workwear fashion too! On your next trip to the mall, swing through this department store to find some good-quality professional clothing. And don’t neglect to comb through the clearance racks – there are usually some awesome finds in there, too.
- Our favorite for guys: Fellas, when you’re on the hunt for workwear, you’ll appreciate JCP’s wide selection of styles. Whether you’re looking for conservative styles or something a bit more modern, there’s plenty to find here without spending a fortune. We love the relaxed style of these Lee dress pants, especially the navy blue ones. They’re priced at $22.49 at JCPenney.com at the moment.
- Our favorite for girls: If you work in a professional office environment, you NEED to discover the Worthington brand at JCP. It has both fun, contemporary pieces and staple items like this paneled pencil skirt, priced right now at$10.99 on JCPenney.com. And don’t forget to keep your eyes open for sales and coupons, which JCP offers frequently.
Where do you find professional clothes at a good price? Leave a comment below or tag us on social media!